Monday, October 19, 2009

watch week *revised edition

Ok. This week is watch week at dance. Parents are invited to come into the studio for the last 15 min of class. (normally the door is closed and the girls focus better that way) so here I am taking advantage of my “flexible work environment” and planning to take a long/early lunch to see Lucy. You know, trying to be the involved parent in the middle of the day even though I’m a working parent…and everything parent related is at least 40 min away from me…

So I think it's supposed to go a little like this: Wake up a little early to be sure to have enough time to get myself and my camera ready. I float into work at 7am, avoid chatting to make sure that I get a solid start on my day before I slip out for a bit to watch my little ballerina. Take some pictures to capture the milestone, join Lucy and my mom for lunch at McD's, then get back to work telling myself that all of my SAHM dreams are unnecessary because I've got this juggling act perfectly under control.

But here's how it really went: (copied and pasted from an actual email to Nickie)

1st - wake up late, get to work at 8:30 – the entire way in I’m thinking I should have just stayed home until dance, why did I even bother to make the drive this late.
2nd – leave work at 9:50, need to get gas in order to drive more than 5 miles, get back on the road and grab my purse.
3rd – can’t find my little camera/video, remember that it’s in the pocket of the coat I wore yesterday and left in my mom’s van.
4th – call my mom to ask her to unlock the van so I can grab my camera on the way in…a) I can hear the class and she tells me that they get to watch the whole hour and b) she took the coat (and camera) out of her van and it’s sitting on her kitchen table so that Trav can take it home tonight
5th – now I’m speeding, missing the whole flipping thing, deciding if I should stop by mom’s house and miss even more to get my camera.
6th – I remember that Trav has the day off…I call him to ask him to run the big camera up to me at dance…he tells me he’s not home…at 10AM...already out and about.
7th – pull into dance at 10:40…have to walk across the entire studio to find a place to sit, Lucy see’s me and stops dancing. Just stood there the whole time with her fist in her mouth.
8th – I took a few pictures…….with my PHONE!!!
9th – was back in the car by 10:55…drove 40 min back to work.
10th – now I get to stay until at least 5 to make up for my sleeping mishap and my super mom attempt.


WORTH EVERY SECOND!!!

2 comments:

Nickie said...

I love Lucy (sorry, that will never get old).
but seriously I do love that kid, and you for putting forth all that effort for that short of time.
Nic
ps. you keep your emails? evidence? what???

Jen said...

I don't typically keep my emails...especially my work emails. But I actually forwarded that one home thinking to myself "now I won't have to re write this" :)