Wednesday, May 28, 2008

smorgasbord summer

This summer we are using Audrey's dance money to let her try a few new things. I am not a psycho dance mom, I don't see Audrey doing dance through high school or anything like that. We are just in there for fun and if at any time she finds something that she likes better I am more than willing to switch her.
So far she has had swimming lessons and bitty soccer. She will also try karate and tumbling.

Swimming went so much better than I had planned for. Audrey has a love/hate relationship with water and we weren't so sure which Audrey would show up at the Y. In fact, the only reason I put her in lessons is because she announced to me that she "knew how to swim and wasn't using her life jacket this year". She ended up with a wonderful lady teacher, Beth, who was a lady (score). There was only 1 other girl in the class so it was practically a private lesson. She isn't ready to be on her own yet but she definitely has a better feeling for the water and a little more confidence about things like splashing and jumping. It looks like it's going to be a good summer at the pool.
Soccer was a hoot. There were 6 sessions; 3 practices and 3 games. Audrey did really well at practice. Her coach was a lady, she got her own ball, there were stickers and snacks involved. I almost thought for a second that soccer was her calling.





Then came the games, Audrey was very upset that there was only 1 ball. I guess that wasn't "officially" discussed at practice. She spent most of her time dancing and cheering and waving and staring into space. At the end of the first game she told me that "it was just too busy out there". Trav told her that she needed to run more and so the next game she spent running up and down the field with no purpose whatsoever. It was classic. One thing I will say is that Audrey was in all 3 games almost the whole time because she was not a crier. But as it turns out, soccer is not her calling.





No comments: