Monday, August 4, 2008

substitution

Growing up, I went to a Lutheran grade school. Every Monday morning our teacher would take roll and then ask us "church, Sunday school or both" and also mark that down. We would get perfect attendance certificates for those things right along with actual school. At the time that was just the way it was and I didn't think anything of it. Looking back however, first of all it amazes me that we were all being honest with our answers, and secondly that the teacher was holding us responsible for something we had no control over; Making us feel guilty for the Sundays that our parents didn't want to get out of bed. I remember asking my mom on more than one occasion if I watched the church programs on TV could I say "church" at school the next morning.
Trav and I struggle with regular church attendance. First it was our different religious backgrounds that was the problem. Then it was the late Saturday nights. Then Audrey's nap time. Now it's his crazy schedule, illnesses, vacations, family obligations, snowstorms and well, maybe mommy wants to stay in her jammies until lunch sometimes (sorry God). We seem to do really well in spurts but if we miss more than 2 Sundays in a row, it's over for at least 3 months...or until the next major religious holiday.
I am trying to make up for it (for myself and for my girls) by listening to K LOVE whenever I am "allowed" to turn the DVD player off.
I figure maybe it counts as church in the car.

No comments: