Thursday, December 11, 2008

trading cards

I love love love Christmas cards. In this fast paced world of email, evites, texts and blogs, the least I can do is sit down at the kitchen table once a year and hand address envelopes for 85 of my closest friends and family...give or take a few. I have quite the system. I keep all of my address on an excel spreadsheet that I update throughout the year. Then once a year I print out the most current version. Next I sit down and address all of the envelopes, place stamp and return address label. Now insert photo cards with cute pictures of my kiddos on them. Before sealing the envelopes I set aside a few of the cards that I want to include little notes in. Double check on my list that I didn't miss anyone, and off they go. Now here's where it gets interesting; when I receive a Christmas card, I highlight the name on my printout. In theory, I would go through the last couple of years lists and delete people that are not returning the favor or we are no longer in touch with. But here's the BIG question: "are these people not sending cards at all or are they just not sending a card to us???" Seriously, did you know that someone could ever read this much into a simple gesture of holiday cheer? It's not necessarily that I don't want to be festive with said individuals anymore, it's just that I'm trying to avoid having a list of 300 people by only adding and never taking any away. Word of my system got out a few years back and now some people find it necessary to beg to be kept on the list. That wasn't my intention at all, to make my nearest and dearest feel threatened at the most wonderful time of the year. So, relax, you're still on the list, you made the cuts - at least for this year :)

9 comments:

Nickie said...

DID YOU SERIOUSLY CALL ME OUT ON THE BLOG? You dirty hooker! :) glad I made the list of your nearest and dearest.
And for the record...I am not sending out cards to anyone...and I do have holiday cheer....I just didn't realize that certain people live their lives for Christmas cards. :) geshhhhh
Card to Jen...GOT IT. :)
love you forever amen!

Nickie said...

Does Mo Kan Boxer rescue send you a card??? huh huh????

Jen said...

As a matter of fact they do :) AND you are not the only one that begs every year for a card, just the only one that blogged about it.
LOVE YA

Nickie said...

Beg??? hummm look I may stalk you, but I surly won't beg for a card since I don't have that holiday cheer anyway.
ANNNDDD that anniversary and birthday list better be just a "family" one because I surly don't see Nickie Fosburg written next to anything! It should be highlighted. I want my new kids cd dang it!

Cori said...

BTW, now I feel it necessary to tell you that I put your card in the mail today BEFORE I checked my mailbox and saw your's. I really did. I found your address online and everything. But now you probably won't believe me. You'll think I'm a slacker friend like the begger. The red-headed begger. :)
P.S. You're getting a card too, begger!

Nickie said...

I am totally breaking up with both of you! Cori, how do you write one of those break up letters again? :)

Nickie said...

GNO? I un-breakup with you both. I guess I still love you both, despite your desperate need for Christmas cards. :) Jan is right around the corner!!! Maybe GBO (girls breakfast out)again??? Although I am not sure that Bob's will allow us to sit in their booths for 5 hours while we talk????!!!???!!!??

Kelly said...

It was good to hear from you on our blog! I will enjoy keeping up on your family. Your little girls are so cute!

--Kelly

Brandi said...

You are so good to do your cards by hand...don't be mad when you get yours from us w/ a printed label...I am too lazy :)