Monday, November 24, 2008

thirty

Today, when I woke up, I was thirty. And most of me is relieved to tell you the truth. I’ve been acting thirty since I was about twenty-three. And for a long, long time I let that bother me. I let myself dwell on things that I was missing out on. I tried to hide things about myself like driving a minivan or not owning a pair of heels. Only recently, after the move to the burbs, the 2nd baby, maybe even the blogging support, have I learned to embrace my true self. That maybe what I thought the twenties were supposed to be was all just in my head. That my life did not just accidentally happen this way; that this is the life that I choose, the life that I wanted all along.
So maybe that’s the difference between the twenties and the thirties. Maybe the thirties bring confidence, security, comfort, even a little pride. Because honestly, the thought of all of that spontaneity right now just makes me tired.

5 comments:

Cori said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to my decade. ;) Just remember, age really is just a number. And as long as we're healthy, it's all good.

Signed,
Almost 34

P.S. Even Jesus didn't start his real work until his 30s. :)

B-Mom said...

Happy Birthday!

Nickie said...

Happy birthday.
pssttt...I think you kinda rock...even if you are 30! :)
love you forever amen!

Stacie said...

Happy Birthday Jenny!
When I hit the big 30 last month..I was ready too! Enough feeling too young to be married with kid(s) as everyone views the 20's and time to embrace being a married mom!

Amy said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

;) Amy